FreeBSD + samba 2.2.2 problems; semi-solution

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Thu Jan 17 17:10:06 GMT 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:22:00AM -0600, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> > Other people are having this problem as well, just not as easily reproduced
> > as on Mike's box.  Sometimes it happens to me, but its rare.  MS Visual
> > Studio seemed to reproduce it for me in the past, but I can't seem to
> > reproduce it at the moment.
>
> Are they having this problem on FreeBSD only ? I'm trying to determine
> if this is a FreeBSD problem or a Samba problem.
>
> Jeremy.

Well, I did some more testing, and it's definitely either a freebsd or
samba problem; I can cause the same samba hanging with two win98 and a
win95 box on my network; this seems to clearly indicate that it must be
server side problem.

What I (and others I'm talking to off the list) are going to try now is
using older versions of FreeBSD to see if that fixes the problem.  The
samba port was upgraded to 2.2.2 about the same time a bunch of kernel
changes were made, so most of us compulsive upgraders switched the two at
the same time.

Once I've done more testing on this, I'll get back to you.

In either case, have you looked at switching the blocking reads to use a
timeout instead?  That seems like it would be a good idea, even once this
bug is found and fixed.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack