FreeBSD + samba 2.2.2 problems; semi-solution

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jan 17 17:23:27 GMT 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 06:58:03PM +0000, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> Well, I did some more testing, and it's definitely either a freebsd or
> samba problem; I can cause the same samba hanging with two win98 and a
> win95 box on my network; this seems to clearly indicate that it must be
> server side problem.
>
> What I (and others I'm talking to off the list) are going to try now is
> using older versions of FreeBSD to see if that fixes the problem.  The
> samba port was upgraded to 2.2.2 about the same time a bunch of kernel
> changes were made, so most of us compulsive upgraders switched the two at
> the same time.
>
> Once I've done more testing on this, I'll get back to you.
>
> In either case, have you looked at switching the blocking reads to use a
> timeout instead?  That seems like it would be a good idea, even once this
> bug is found and fixed.

Hmmmmm. So the desired effect is - once the client has sent the
length field, if no more data follows in, say, 60 seconds, then
we terminate ?

That would limit smbd's staying around with (what I must say
are) COMPLETELY BROKEN CLIENTS !!!

Sorry for shouting, but clients that do that sort of thing
bug me :-).

Jeremy.