small (very ) compilation speedup

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Sun Feb 24 15:08:33 GMT 2002

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 01:31:20PM +1030, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> Dependencies in the makefile would be nice as well. We have extended
> winbindd (for technical reasons) and ran into a problem that would have
> been solved if we had some dependencies in the makefile.

Yes - it's a case of having to know when to run a 'make clean ; make'
instead of debugging a phantom problem.

The only thing here is that everything depends on smb.h so a simple
change here would cause everything to be recompiled which would probably
annoy people.  So really putting proper dependencies in the Makefile is
just the beginning.  We then have to remove all the unecessary
dependencies.

Oh yes, the Makefile dependency tracker I was looking at is part of
libtool.  (-:

Tim.