LDAP and UTF-8

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Tue Feb 19 02:04:06 GMT 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 08:35:45AM +0100, Mats olsson wrote:
> Yes thats true. The box i wa testing on was a Debian 2.1 with Glibc-2.1.3
> and that version of Glibc seemed to need libiconv since if i tried without
> libiconv, Sambas configure didnt detect any iconv at all wich gave lots of
> cannot convert from XXX to XXX in the logs. Then i installed libiconv i got
> Samba to reckoginize the iconv libary one time out of three attempts. Whit
> detected libiconv it worked really well. unfortunally that was two days
> before the W2K explorer access denied bug was found so i had to update and
> after that i didn't get the iconv stuff to work again before i upgraded to
> glibc-2.2.4.
>
> Is there a minimum version of glibc required for iconv to work ?

Any of Glibc 2.x. Higher versions support more encodings (2.2.5
supports >195) but lower ones in 2.x line should work too.
However, problem could lie in not so perfect detection code in configure.

> Is it possible that it isn't the iconv functions in samba having problems
> but just the detection from configure? I have tried both and without the
> --with-libiconv=/usr/local switch.

It could be the case.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Software architect and analyst             // SaM-Solutions Ltd.