LDAP and UTF-8

Mats olsson mace2442 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 23:42:02 GMT 2002

Yes thats true. The box i wa testing on was a Debian 2.1 with Glibc-2.1.3
and that version of Glibc seemed to need libiconv since if i tried without
libiconv, Sambas configure didnt detect any iconv at all wich gave lots of
cannot convert from XXX to XXX in the logs. Then i installed libiconv i got
Samba to reckoginize the iconv libary one time out of three attempts. Whit
detected libiconv it worked really well. unfortunally that was two days
before the W2K explorer access denied bug was found so i had to update and
after that i didn't get the iconv stuff to work again before i upgraded to
glibc-2.2.4.

Is there a minimum version of glibc required for iconv to work ?

According to a post by Tridge about the change to iconv you should be able
to do iconv --list to find out witch codepages are supported but this
doesn't seem to work with libiconv ?

Is there any possibility to get configure to warn about this if there Is
insufficent iconv support?

Is it possible that it isn't the iconv functions in samba having problems
but just the detection from configure? I have tried both and without the
--with-libiconv=/usr/local switch.

As always all of this could be problems on my local system only. I'm NOT a
linux or Samba guru. However i see this problems and i like to report them
just in case.

/mats