min. length of password

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Feb 7 12:38:06 GMT 2002

Silberman Oleg wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I have to set the min. length of user's passwords and then correctly notify the users, in case they choose the wrong length. To set the minimum length is no problem. The problem is to correctly notify. A Windows box says a kind of "Wrong USER/PASSWORD combination". I'd like to be able to give the user the real reason why he/she can not change his/her password.
>
> Are there any solutions?

Unfortunetly doing this requires 'upgrading' the code inside Samba to
return an NTSTATUS rather than a BOOL.  Currently the internal functions
return 'it worked' or 'it didn't' without any more explaination.

Its on my todo list - becouse this kind of thing bugs me - but I got
around it at my site by using a perl-based cgi script, using Authen::PAM
and stacking pam_cracklib and pam_winbind togeather.  (The new
pam_winbind in HEAD is stackable, 2.2 isn't).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net