Printing fails after driver install

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Wed Feb 6 14:08:20 GMT 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:49:11PM +0100, Martin Zielinski wrote:

> Hello list,
> I have installed several Kyocera KX drivers on my Samba 2.2.3 machine
> (same behaviour on 2.2.2).
> After installing a printqueue via doubleclick in the Network View I try to
> print a testpage, which fails.
> Sometimes, after deleting the printer from the Win2k machine and installing
> it the second time, printing works (I was not able to find out exacltly
> *when*).
>
> I made several traces with ethereal but can't understand what really
> happens...
> So, if one of you RPC, SPOOLSS etc. gurus has the time (or fun) to take a
> look at it, I would be very thankful as this problem makes me become nuts.

When making ethereal captures you need to capture the complete session
otherwise ethereal doesn't know it is decoding DCERPC/SMB packets.

The best way to do this is to log out or reboot NT, start ethereal, then
log in and install your printer.  If you use the CVS version of ethereal
it starts to decode the spoolss rpc calls so you might be able to get
more of an idea of what is going wrong.

Tim.