domain_namemap.c (also pwdump)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Feb 3 15:23:03 GMT 2002

Hello,

in order to understand pwdump and whether it dumps rids or already converted
uids, I tried to examine the uid/gid <-> RID calculation.

It seems that in 1999 there was an attempt to change the RID computation and
the multiplier from 2 to 4 to allow for more than two classes of RIDs
(e.g. aliases). rpc_misc.h was reverted but domain_namemap.c contains defines
like

	RID_TYPE_USER
	RID_TYPE_GROUP
	RID_TYPE_ALIAS

instead of

	USER_RID_TYPE
	GROUP_RID_TYPE

This file is not being compiled in 2.2.3 and probably could therefore be
removed, unless it is left for documentation or development purposes.

This is just a warning about possible cruft you might want to remove (Call it
a mini code review ;).

Coming to my original concerns: Is it true that pwdump will drop me the rid,
and that if a user has an odd rid, then I cannot convert it to a uid (as the
uid<->rid calculation always returns an even rid)?

Best Regards, Axel.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de