smbwall

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Feb 1 10:59:20 GMT 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Toomas Soome wrote:

> David Lee wrote:
>

> > We have a Solaris 8 machine here, as a telnet/rlogin/slogin timesharing
> > machine, which has 1024 "/dev/pts" entries.
> >
> > Our main Samba server can push at the 1000 mark.  But this is a dedicated
> > server, specifically with never more than a tiny number of non-Samba
> > connections.  (Of course *if* 1024 really is an absolute, never-be-topped,
> > limit, then I'm a little concerned about pty-per-smbd.  I need to
> > investigate and test, I suppose.  But my gut reaction is that I'd be
> > surprised if recent Solaris didn't allow in excess of 1024 telnet-like
> > connections...)
> >

> there is no upper limit on solaris 8 and up pts.  4096 is for example
> the largest pts in one system I have access to...

Okay, that alleviates my concerns.

Here is another thought.  If we go with one pty per smbd, what happens
when a single smbd is serving multiple users, through a Windows Terminal
Server?  Actually, I've never tried to send a smbclient message to one of
these users.  Does the message appear on all the clients, or only on the
main console?

	Andy