Bug in reply_write_and_X?

Conrad Minshall conrad at apple.com
Wed Dec 11 02:25:00 GMT 2002

At 8:14 PM -0800 12/9/02, jra at dp.samba.org wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 08:10:00PM -0800, Conrad Minshall wrote:
>>
>> A local filesystem has to return EFBIG to Samba (per POSIX "write" system
>> call def'n) and in the Samba source I'm looking at EFBIG isn't used
>> anywhere relevant to a WRITE_ANDX, in particular it isn't in the
>> "unix_dos_nt_errmap" array.  That seems too simple though... what am I
>> missing?
>
>Nope, you're not missing anything. It really is just a missing mapping
>for EFBIG error. That's not one we've ever seen returned before (I guess
>no one else tested us this way :-). Of course, looking in my POSIX spec
>and in the Linux man page, there it is :-).
>
>Now, the question is, what should it map to ? NT_STATUS_DISK_FULL doesn't
>seem right as the disk isn't full.
>
>Hmmm. Any suggestions or should I look through the NT_STATUS error codes
>and see what matches best. Of course the best way would be to send the
>equivalent call to W2K and see what NT_STATUS code it returns....

My client maps NT_STATUS_DISK_FULL to EFBIG, but really this should be done
by observing some Windows server.  With W2K/NTFS I had no success - using
SMB_SET_FILE_END_OF_FILE_INFO doesn't generate a sparse file so I fill up
the disk before hitting any filesize limit.  Maybe setting
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SPARSE would do it.  Another approach... is there a
Windoze/filesystem combo with a filesize limit of 4G or less?  That would
make this easy.

--
Conrad Minshall ... conrad at apple.com ... 408 974-2749
Alternative email addresses: rad at acm.org and conrad at mac.com.