Another showstopper in 2.2.5

Fredrik Ohrn ohrn at chl.chalmers.se
Mon Aug 12 04:21:00 GMT 2002

Ok, here's another showstopper I have started to get alot over the last
week.

Average user complains that that he can't open Word/Excel/PowerPoint
document foo because it is already opened by another (unknown) user.
But he had no problems working with the document some time ago.

This happens a lot with Win98 clients and sometimes with WinXP but it's
not as common.

After some digging I have figured out that the samba process serving the
document the first time is dead BUT according to smbstatus samba still
thinks the process is alive and the file locked...

A small example:

[root at olivia ~]# /usr/local/samba/bin/smbstatus | grep lottab
lottab       lottab   stdvgl    6887   studv-5-118 (129.16.xxx.xxx) Mon Aug 12 08:31:16 2002
6490   DENY_WRITE 0x1         RDONLY     NONE             /olivia/home3/stdvgl/lottab/netscape/rpclsvc_se.dll   Mon Aug 12 08:16:33 2002
6490   DENY_NONE  0x3         RDWR       NONE             /olivia/home3/stdvgl/lottab/eudora/EudPriv/Ads/Eudora.idx   Mon Aug 12 08:16:38 2002
<... lots more nixed ...>

Lets look for pid 6490

[root at olivia ~]# ps -ef | grep 6490
root      7240  7150  0 08:40 pts/4    00:00:00 grep 6490

Not found! Lets look for the username instead:

[root at olivia ~]# ps -ef | grep lottab
lottab    6887 18504  0 08:31 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D

Look mom! A new smbd process is now serving this user.

There is no trace what so ever in the logfile on why the smbd died.

Tonight I'll see if I can figure out a way to force the problem and use
the panic action to get more clues. Does anyone have a good recepie for
'panic action' that just dumps a backtrace into a logfile?

Regards,
Fredrik

--
   "It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers by
   the sense of accomplishment you get from getting them to work at all."

Fredrik Öhrn                               Chalmers University of Technology
ohrn at chl.chalmers.se                                                  Sweden