FTP

Max TenEyck Woodbury mtew at cds.duke.edu
Sun Aug 4 07:56:01 GMT 2002

Apparently the entire FTP tree for SaMBa was torn down on 24 July 2002.

The reason given was that there was too big a load on ftp.samba.org.

The README.FTP file that replaced the SaMBa tree suggests using mirror
sites or http:.

The mirror sites I looked at are inconsistent in their handling of FTP.

us1.samba.org has the README.FTP message, so it's useless.
us2.samba.org seems to be usable, but is slow and may be overloaded.
us3.samba.org does not map (no route to host)
us4.samba.org does not allow access (access denied)
us5.samba.org does not map (no route to host)
us6.samba.org seems to be usable and reasonably fast.

I use a weekly mirror batch job to keep my local copy of the SaMBa tree
close to up to date. Needless to say it just blew its cookies.

Two things come to mind:

1) Was there a discussion of this on the samba or samba-technical lists?

2) Is there a way to get mirror to use http or are the mirrors setup to
   use rsync?

mtew at cds.duke.edu