Very bad performance when copying large files from windows to samba-share

Esh, Andrew AEsh at tricord.com
Fri Apr 12 14:39:02 GMT 2002

If this were me (and most of you are probably glad it is not), I'd synch the
clocks, start Samba at log level 10 (unlimited log size), mount the share
from Windows, and let it sit for a few minutes. This will allow Samba to sit
with the user authenticated for a while, which makes a better log. I'd run
Ethereal (www.ethereal.com) on the Windows side, unfiltered. Then I'd start
the smaller (good) transfer, and note the time. Wait until the transfer
ends, and record the time again. Save the capture file from Ethereal, and
start a new capture. Repeat for the larger (bad) transfer. Save another
capture.

That that point, all the information needed to find the point in the code at
which Samba is sitting while the pause is happening. Look for large gaps in
the packet flow. Find out what Samba's log says during that time period.
Determining where the gaps are occurring will help us understand why.
Compare and contrast the good session with the bad session. Is there a
timeout message at the same point in the bad session, that the good transfer
instead began to send data?

It was long sessions like this that found the exact recipe for Win98 rabbit
pellets. (Unfortunately, we also found that there was nothing we could do to
Samba to get Windows to run faster. :)

I think the same thing will work here.