smbclient -M : big delays

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 09:57:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Anders C. Thorsen wrote:

> Atleast long delays is a problem using NET SEND between two Windows 2000 and
> Win2k to WinXP computers that are not part of the same domain (no trust
> either).
>
> This occurrs even if the user sending the message authenticated to
> \\DESTINATION\IPC$ and are able to access shares on the othe computer.
>
> Between two Win2k clients within the same domain, the NET SEND command
> returns instantly.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I recall, "smbclient -M" was fast when our campus PCs were NT.
The problem seems to have coincided with our PC folk re-doing our campus
PCs to W2K.

In neither case is the smbclient/UNIX machine in the same domain/workgroup
as the PCs.

> Perhaps this is some sort of measures taken on Microsoft's part to avoid
> "spamming" from non-authenticated clients?

Oh I hope not!

I've looked a little deeper, but it didn't reveal much.  In those
five-second pauses on the W2K client (between each SMBsend* arriving and
the PC acknowledging it) the W2K/PC doesn't appear to generate any other
network traffic; it seems just to sit there dumb for nearly five seconds.

Worse, of course, is that each "smbclient -M" generates at least three
such pauses, totalling around 15 seconds, because of the use of
SMBsendstrt, SMBsendtxt, and SMBsendend in each transaction.)

Can anyone else reproduce it?

Does anyone fancy looking at the packet dumps?

Is there some magic registry/whatever magic needed on the W2K clients?

I'm at a loss on this one, and the users are complaining about these
15-second delays.  (We use "smbclient -M" quite widely at login time
and for print jobs etc.)