Migration from Netware to Samba

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 25 14:50:02 GMT 2001

I am not aware of any tools/utilities to migrate Netware servers to Samba
(as there already are to move Netware servers to NT & Windows 2000 Servers
- although I doubt that those tools work against a Samba server).   Seems
like the biggest issue is how to migrate NDS information into the various
smb.conf files and into the user databases (or LDAP server).   Sounds
reasonably tricky to write such a tool though.

Does anyone know of any existing efforts to describe, document or automate
NDS migration to Samba (or directly to another LDAP server)?  I found a few
articles describing people's experiences doing migrations but they seemed
pretty dated.

Might be fun to write a utility to migrate more easily from a Windows 2000
DC to Samba too (i.e. list users, groups, shares on server A then create
the corresponding entries on server B - then copy the exported
files/directories under the shares on server A to server B then setup
similar Access Control on Server B for these directories)

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center
IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294, T/L 678-2294;
pager: 512-480-6393; cell phone: 512-296-4687
email: sfrench at us.ibm.com