WINS static entry support (Re: WINS again ;-))

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Sep 24 09:06:15 GMT 2001

Two things about the message below:

1) Monyo's right.  If you force a zero TTL then, when nmbd restarts and
   re-reads the WINS.dat file (which acts as a persistant cache) then it
   believe that the zero entry is permanent and not require a refresh.
   *UNLESS* another node tries to register the same name (as a unique
   name).

   If another node tries to register the same name as a unique name, then
   I'm not sure what Samba will do.  Most likely, though, it will send a
   query to the current holder(s) of the name to see if any of them still
   claim the name.  If it gets no reply it may flush the record.

2) In most cases Samba only stores one address per group name.  This is
   broken, but it is what Microsoft does.  The #1C names are special
   cases.  Microsoft did a bad job of implementing group name
   support--particularly the NBDD service.

Chris -)-----