"ld -shared" (was: Getting ready for 2.2.2)

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 08:31:07 GMT 2001

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Eric Boehm wrote:

> I just tried building SAMBA_2_2 under Solaris 8 with Sun Workshop 6 C
> compiler.
> "-shared" is really only appropriate if you are using GCC.

I've just tried building today's 2.2 CVS on Solaris 2.6, with GCC, and
get bitten by much the same thing:

Linking shared library bin/smbwrapper.so
ld: fatal: option -h and building a dynamic executable are incompatible
ld: fatal: Flags processing errors
make: *** [bin/smbwrapper.so] Error 1

In a Solaris installation, even if you are using GCC rather then Sun C,
$(LD) is typically the native Solaris ld, not GNU ld.

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology