How to use /etc/passwd file From Windows Clients

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Mon Sep 17 11:52:03 GMT 2001

One other issue with plaintext passwords that is often confusing is
that NT and W2K clients will prompt for a username and password
when you reconnect to the shares even if your NT password and *NIX
password are the same. The dialog box indicates the passwords are
wrong even though you know they are correct. It really should say
"I'm about to send a plaintext password. Do you want to continue?"

"MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" wrote:

> Hello Mohan,
> To force Samba to use /etc/passwd, the password from the client must come
> in in 'plaintext', and you must have "encrypt passwords=no" in your
> smb.conf.
>
> This means that all of your win9x winNT and win2k clients must have a
> registry
> hack applied to allow them to send plaintext passwords.  Which also means
> that
> the password is going to be visible to any 'network sniffer' that can see
> packets
> on your network.
> In the latest version of Samba there are registry files for the various
> windows
> os'es that you can doubleclick on from the client to apply the registry hack
> appropriate for each os.
>
> But you have to decide whether a bit of confusion between /etc/passwd and
> smbpassword
> is'nt worth NOT sending plaintext passwords over the wire, AND having to
> manually hack
> the registry of each client to make it happen.
>
> Don

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177