How to use /etc/passwd file From Windows Clients

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Sep 17 08:36:02 GMT 2001

Hello Mohan,
To force Samba to use /etc/passwd, the password from the client must come
in in 'plaintext', and you must have "encrypt passwords=no" in your
smb.conf.

This means that all of your win9x winNT and win2k clients must have a
registry
hack applied to allow them to send plaintext passwords.  Which also means
that
the password is going to be visible to any 'network sniffer' that can see
packets
on your network.
In the latest version of Samba there are registry files for the various
windows
os'es that you can doubleclick on from the client to apply the registry hack
appropriate for each os.

But you have to decide whether a bit of confusion between /etc/passwd and
smbpassword
is'nt worth NOT sending plaintext passwords over the wire, AND having to
manually hack
the registry of each client to make it happen.

Don