multiple nmbds domains workgroups

Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
Fri Sep 14 08:06:08 GMT 2001

Kenny Stoltz <spacecow at mis.net> requests: [edited to the essence]

> I need support in nmbd for multiple domains and workgroups. ... I want a
> single machine to not only impersonate multiple smbd machines, but also
> multiple wins servers, browsers, and pdcs on different workgroups on
> different subnets on the same machine. I have succeeded in doing so ...
> I have to specify netbios name and config file to get it started, but it
> works. ... However it takes quite a bit of memory and I would like to
> see it supported inside samba the way it should be.

My view is that this sounds like a fairly major addition that would benefit
few administrators, but would complicate the documentation, source code
base, testing requirements, and support requirements for all of us. All so
you can save a few
bucks.

My vote is to spend the money on the hardware and keep the Samba software
and documentation from getting even more complicated!  (I almost said "Keep
Samba simple!" but I caught myself just in time... ;-).

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant, Stratus Technologies.
Voice: +1 978-461-7557; FAX: +1 978-461-3610; Video on request.