[IDEA+RFC] Command line util for modifying services

David Armstrong adavid at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 9 03:11:02 GMT 2001

On Sunday 09 September 2001 5:27 am, Gerald Carter wrote:
> Ummm....Couple of issues, if you have a cgi-script running as a
> non-root user (i hope so :) ) you may have a hard time updating
> smb.conf.

Not really a problem for me - firstly, the webserver is not accessible to the
outside world, and i'll just use sudo [the only users on the network are a
handful of windows users who need reminding how to delete files from a
command line!].

> Modifying smb.conf is reall rather trivial.  See the
> examples/misc/modify_samba_config.pl perl script
> for a quick and dirty means of adding/deleting shares
> to the config file.

Thanks - I should be able to hack away at this script and make it do what I
need it to.  I'll also look into the rpcclient suggestion [thanks Simo].

If you ever do decide to include a command line utility as part of samba/bin,
I'd me more than happy to do the work of writing it.

cheers,
David Armstrong