Fw: Re: Implemented OPLOCK for FreeBsd

Jonathan Lemon jlemon at flugsvamp.com
Fri Sep 7 19:58:54 GMT 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 04:50:44PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 04:17:18PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > Um, aren't you the one who created two different APIs to do the same
> > thing?  Isn't Linus the one who rejected the idea of kqueue, a
> > pre-existing API at the time which was also being implemented in the
> > other BSDs, because he preferred to reinvent the wheel and be
> > different?  Be careful with those stones you're throwing..the track
> > record of Linux in terms of standardizing on existing APIs is hardly
> > stellar, and you also won't win many friends around here trying to use
> > the "well, we put it in Linux now, so you'll have to end up liking it"
> > argument.
>
> Linus listened to our requests for such an API. He cooperated in
> its development. I spoke to the FreeBSD developers at the same
> time requesting standardisation on this issue and never got an
> answer.

Um, who?  I never saw any request going to the FreeBSD list other
than the message that jkh forwarded.  Developers are reached at
"developers at freebsd.org", not "jkh at freebsd.org".  You can't accuse
us of listening if you never contact the developers.

> Due to this we have a working API within Samba that we'd prefer to use.
> Now if you want to use a different API, I'm happy to accept any
> patches into smbd/oplock_freebsd.c but it will not be maintained
> by the Samba Team as none of the developers use FreeBSD.

I believe that this is a satisfactory solution; patches will be forthcoming.
--
Jonathan