Fw: Re: Implemented OPLOCK for FreeBsd

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Sep 7 19:57:55 GMT 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 04:17:18PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Um, aren't you the one who created two different APIs to do the same
> thing?  Isn't Linus the one who rejected the idea of kqueue, a
> pre-existing API at the time which was also being implemented in the
> other BSDs, because he preferred to reinvent the wheel and be
> different?  Be careful with those stones you're throwing..the track
> record of Linux in terms of standardizing on existing APIs is hardly
> stellar, and you also won't win many friends around here trying to use
> the "well, we put it in Linux now, so you'll have to end up liking it"
> argument.

Linus listened to our requests for such an API. He cooperated in
its development. I spoke to the FreeBSD developers at the same
time requesting standardisation on this issue and never got an
answer.

Linus probably didn't even know you people had already done
something. You didn't talk to us about it, why would you have
spoken to him ?

Due to this we have a working API within Samba that we'd prefer to use.
Now if you want to use a different API, I'm happy to accept any
patches into smbd/oplock_freebsd.c but it will not be maintained
by the Samba Team as none of the developers use FreeBSD.

Jeremy.