Fw: Re: Implemented OPLOCK for FreeBsd

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Sep 7 19:58:14 GMT 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 04:02:01PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Remember, we're trying to *standardize* API's here, not
> gratuitously proliferate them. If you want to do that,
> join the Redmond API-of-the-month club.

Um, aren't you the one who created two different APIs to do the same
thing?  Isn't Linus the one who rejected the idea of kqueue, a
pre-existing API at the time which was also being implemented in the
other BSDs, because he preferred to reinvent the wheel and be
different?  Be careful with those stones you're throwing..the track
record of Linux in terms of standardizing on existing APIs is hardly
stellar, and you also won't win many friends around here trying to use
the "well, we put it in Linux now, so you'll have to end up liking it"
argument.

Kris