tdb corruption with "use mmap=false"

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Fri Sep 7 12:50:04 GMT 2001

"MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
> Thanks for the clarification.
> I guess what I'm concerned about is Lotus Notes, or other programs that are
> 'cheating' if you will, and trying to use a byte range lock beyond the end
> of file at a specific position to 'communicate' something to other instances
> of the program.  If this is the case, then the 1st instance will think it
> has 'communicated', but when another instance does the same thing, and
> doesn't fail, will think it is able to do something to the file that it
> shouldn't be allowed to.

But if it's a Windows client to Windows client communication
then it'll work perfectly, as the brlock database (which is
not seen by the underlying OS and is internal to Samba) will take care of it.

Remember, the POSIX lock layer is only used to communicate
between Windows clients and UNIX clients. So if it's this
latter case, then there's no way the UNIX client can even
see locks < 2^^31-1 so the application would be broken already.

Jeremy.