tdb corruption with "use mmap=false"

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Sep 7 12:24:04 GMT 2001

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for the clarification.
I guess what I'm concerned about is Lotus Notes, or other programs that are
'cheating' if you will, and trying to use a byte range lock beyond the end
of file at a specific position to 'communicate' something to other instances
of the program.  If this is the case, then the 1st instance will think it
has 'communicated', but when another instance does the same thing, and
doesn't fail, will think it is able to do something to the file that it
shouldn't be allowed to.

I have asked reinout if he would get a netmon or etheral trace of the action
that is generating these calls, to try to figure out if this is what is
happening; but I cannot see why a program would try to put a lock on a file
if it didn't expect someone else to be 'warned off' by that lock.

The other thing that is suspicious to me about this particular case
(reinout's Lotus notes issue) is that the
initial offset just always HAPPENS to be 0xFFFF0000, where all the set bits
fit into the OffsetHigh smb field.
I'd like to see an ethereal or netmon trace of lotus notes on a 32bit as
opposed to the 64 bit machine, to see what it's sending in both cases...

Just being my normal paranoid self,
Thanks again,
Don