Local profiles for specific users?

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 6 12:28:12 GMT 2001

Wouldn't this be just a minor change to the pdb_get_profile_path routine or
to the SAM_ACCOUNT initialization and not be registry related?

I always thought that the profile path was 1st retrieved during logon, not
via registry APIs, but just as in the case of retrieving the home_dir_drive
via a call to the equivalent of NetUserGetInfo level 3 (presumably sent via
ms dce/rpc in most cases now rather than via RAP).   Alternatively it can
be retrieved by level 1052 or 4 of the same call but I doubt that is
happening here although the new level user_info_4 looks like it will be
important for XP support.    I was trying to figure out how we init the
various fields in the key user_info_3 structure in _net_sam_logon in
srv_netlog_nt.c  It looks like the profile path is gotten from a call to
pdb_get_profile_path in the routine init_net_user_info3 so it should be
easy enough to remap profiles by changes to the initting of the SAM_ACCOUNT
data structure without dealing with registry stuff.

FYI - There is an interesting very loosely related writeup about profiles
at:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q142/7/90.asp

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center
IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294, T/L 678-2294;
pager: 512-480-6393; cell phone: 512-296-4687
email: sfrench at us.ibm.com