Solaris 2.8 major performance issue

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Sep 6 10:42:03 GMT 2001

Scott Moomaw wrote:

> I believe that I have discovered a reason for the major performance
> problems that we're experiencing with the latest CVS on Solaris 2.8. In
> configure, the determination for LARGEFILE64_SOURCE read as follows:
>
> #
> # Defines needed for Solaris 2.6/2.7 aka 7.0 to make it admit
> # to the existance of large files..
> # Note that -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE is different from the Sun
> # recommendations on large file support, however it makes the
> # compile work using gcc 2.7 and 2.8, whereas using the Sun
> # recommendation makes the compile fail on gcc2.7. JRA.
> #
>         *solaris*)
>                 case `uname -r` in
>                         5.6*|5.7*)
>
> The test is failing for Solaris 8 (obviously) which causes samba to
> compile without LARGEFILE code.  Adding the proper CPPFLAGS dramatically
> improved performance.  Shouldn't Solaris 8 be added to the conditionals in
> configure?

	That's my fault, I suggested the check for 5.6
	or better, but I pharsed it wrong: it should ahve
	been a test for
		5.0*|5.1*|5.2*|5.3*|5.5*)
			use 32-bit filesystem options
			;;
		5.*)
			use 64-bit filesystem options
			;;

--dave
Americas Customer Engineering, | some people and astonish the rest.
SunPS Integration Services.    |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com