NetBIOS-free SMB protocol on port 445 in Windows 2000/XP

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed Sep 5 18:15:59 GMT 2001

> There are no special requirements (dns-wise) for the clients. The only
> difference between the 445 and 139 protocol is the absence of the NetBIOS
> layer, and the addition of a simple 4-byte frame, IIRC. What this means is
> that name resolution now goes via DNS rather than WINS/NetBIOS - i.e.
> \\fileserver is no longer a valid name, but \\fileserver.domain.com is
> (\\fileserver might be valid if the client's default domain is domain.com or
> the domain search path includes domain.com).
>
> What are you thinking the client needs to do? It certainly doesn't need to
> do DDNS client updates (in fact, we run an environment where only the AD
> controllers do that - clients use static entries, and it works fine).

Right, basically, but Samba is a server suite.  ;)

I also work in an Academic setting.  Where I work, we have a *no dynamic
DNS update* policy.  We are considering modifying that to *no unsecured
dynamic DNS update*, but we won't be using the Kerberos PAKs.  Our DNS
servers run on a Unix platform.

Chris -)-----