DHCP discovery of WINS servers

Shirish Kalele kalele at veritas.com
Tue Sep 4 11:02:04 GMT 2001

On 4 Sep 2001, Scott Gifford wrote:

>Shirish Kalele <kalele at veritas.com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>> >This is where Windows integration of NBT into the kernel is an advantage.
>> >They can (and probably do, but I haven't checked) include the request for
>> >the netbios-name-serevers in the initial DHCP exchange.
>> >
>> There might be a way to include such a request even for Unix systems. I
>> haven't really played with dhcp configuration on Unix.
>
>The way that current UNIX DHCP clients handle the very similar case of
>translating nameservers from DHCP into /etc/resolv.conf is by
>rewriting /etc/resolv.conf with the information from DHCP.  Maybe
>something similar would be more in line with how current systems work,
>and save the trouble of implementing a mini-DHCP client inside Samba.

this would be ideal. However, and David CB can correct me here, taking the
case of Solaris, the DHCP client comes bundled, and there is no way to
make it get the nbns-server-list and write it to a file. In fact, I don't
think there is a way to specify the sort of info you want from dhcp: it's
preconfigured. I know the solution really lies in the dhcp client, but
that code is not in our hands.

- SK