DHCP discovery of WINS servers

Scott Gifford sgifford at tir.com
Tue Sep 4 10:39:01 GMT 2001

Shirish Kalele <kalele at veritas.com> writes:

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

[...]

> >This is where Windows integration of NBT into the kernel is an advantage.
> >They can (and probably do, but I haven't checked) include the request for
> >the netbios-name-serevers in the initial DHCP exchange.
> >
> There might be a way to include such a request even for Unix systems. I
> haven't really played with dhcp configuration on Unix.

The way that current UNIX DHCP clients handle the very similar case of
translating nameservers from DHCP into /etc/resolv.conf is by
rewriting /etc/resolv.conf with the information from DHCP.  Maybe
something similar would be more in line with how current systems work,
and save the trouble of implementing a mini-DHCP client inside Samba.

This would be straightforward to do if the main smb.conf had a line
like:

    include /etc/wins.conf

and the DHCP client rewrote this file.

Even better would be to fix up the DHCP client do do something less
hacky for both cases, but that's probably way off topic.  :)

------ScottG.