Any suggestions on getting WinXP final installed under VMware 2.0?

Jay Ts jay at toltec.metran.cx
Wed Oct 31 10:43:08 GMT 2001

Gerald Carter wrote:

> I know XP RC1 would install, but the final release causes a panic
> in VMware WS 2.0.4 during the "Installing Devices" stage.
> Anyone got any thoughts on this one?

You are lucky that RC1 worked!  Officially, you need VMware 3.0
to run Windows XP.  VMware has a version 3.0 "release candidate"
available for free download.  I'm using the previous (beta)
release with Windows XP, and it works, except for a few bugs
that relate to incompatibility with XFree 4.0 (full screen mode
doesn't work).  And VMware panics if a blank CD-R is inserted
in my Plextor CD-RW drive.  These problems may have been corrected
in the most recent version; I haven't had time to install it yet.

I hope this does it for you - I'm waiting expectantly for your
report on Windows XP Home edition!

Good luck with it,

Jay Ts
jayts at iname.com