straw poll for "veto files" [was Re: "veto files" problem]

Edmund Lam epl at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 25 19:04:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Should a user be able to create files that match the vetoed files
> for a service?  Currently these files can be created but not accessed.

   Short answer - no. Users should not be able to create these vetoed
files.

   I'm not a Samba developer, so I have limited clout. But I was extremely
surprised at this feature -- at the very least, it should be mentioned in
smb.conf.

   I don't think (IMHO) dropboxes (eg incoming/) should be implemented via
veto files (ie /.?*/*/ right?). Wouldn't a "chmod 333 incoming/" followed
by something in smb.conf like "force directory mode = 0300" and "directory
security mask = 0333" be sufficient? Details would vary depending on site
setup and exact behaviour desired.

Cheers

Eddie