Questions

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Oct 25 04:42:03 GMT 2001

Richard Dunlop wrote:
> Hear is my issue, (hopefully you can help)?
> I have a Microsoft Access database on my shared drive.
> I have 2 desktops running separate views but write to the same tables. Input on the one work station is writing to the table and on the other work station within the program a refresh is done to update the view.

	Oops, this is a typical but inadvisable use
	of access... I'll get back to that in a sec.

> When both applications are run on the same work station this works. When we separation the applications the refresh doesn't work.

	And that sounds like an oplocks/caching issue.
	Put the files in a share by themselves and
	turn oplocks off on that share.

	Oplocks allow non-database files to be cached entirely
	on the client machines. When you cache databases,
	the performance is terrible, and sometimes can
	fail.

> This works using a NetWare server without any problems. Because of security issues the NetWare server is not an option for us. I'm also seeing it being a little slower then when we tried this using NFS on the Unix server. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

	Try the above, but plan that any multi-user databases
	use a back-end/front-end design, with Access as
	what it's intended as, an "access method", to a
	full-fledged sql database on a machine with
	dedicated local disks.

	Using an nfs disk is **dangerous**, and a smb
	or novell disk will merely fail to scale past
	the first few simultaneous users.

--dave
Americas Customer Engineering, | some people and astonish the rest.
SunPS Integration Services.    |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com