"veto files" problem (Re: CVS update: samba/docs)

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at samba.org
Thu Oct 11 10:25:06 GMT 2001

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>> Assuming to set "veto files = /*.eml/" in the smb.conf and to have a
>> file named "foo.txt" in the Samba share, you can still rename this
>> file to "foo.eml", though you cannot access the renamed "foo.eml".
>
>This is the way it has always been to my knowledge.  Actually I like
>this.  Consider a drop off point such as incoming/ for an anoymous
>ftp server.  This should give us the same behavior. :-)
>
>Of course, I'm not sold on the idea.

Umm...
I understand but it's not good for security.
One major problem is that one can overwrite the vetoes file on which
one has write permission.

This means "these files are not visible but accessible".
At least we had better mention this in smb.conf(5).

-----
TAKAHASHI, Motonobu(monyo)         monyo at samba.org
Personal - http://home.monyo.com/
Samba Team - http://samba.org/     Samba-JP - http://www.samba.gr.jp/