"veto files" problem (Re: CVS update: samba/docs)

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Oct 11 09:54:04 GMT 2001

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:

> I checked the "veto files" parameter for Nimda protection and found a
> problem on Samba 2.2.1a/2.0.10.
>
> Assuming to set "veto files = /*.eml/" in the smb.conf and to have a
> file named "foo.txt" in the Samba share, you can still rename this
> file to "foo.eml", though you cannot access the renamed "foo.eml".
>
> This is design? I think renaming names matched with "veto files"
> should be prevented.

This is the way it has always been to my knowledge.  Actually I like
this.  Consider a drop off point such as incoming/ for an anoymous
ftp server.  This should give us the same behavior. :-)

Of course, I'm not sold on the idea.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org