Samba logs and locks in tmpfs filesystem (Solaris)?

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Oct 9 04:56:02 GMT 2001

Tristan Ball wrote:

> 1) While the filesystem with your logs on it may be under a fairly high
> load, I doubt it's going to be under actual contention at the FS layer (I'm
> assuming seperate log files for each client?).
	The default is per server, and that's what I assume Mr.
	Lee was running...
> 2) Depending on your debug level, it would be very easy to accidentally
> fill /tmp
	Which is a denial-of-service attack on yourself (;-))
	I'd be tempted to put -o size=xxM on the mount line
	for tmpfs, or create an entire different tmpfs
	filesystem just for lock and tdb files, with an explicit
	size.

> 3) I _like_ keeping logs across a reboot! :-)
	Mee too!

> I am very interested in your results tho, as you appear to be running a
> system that is very close to a big brother version of ours: We have E420r,
> 2CPU's,2G ram and currently 639 smb processes, although these are split
> between a 4 installations of samba, 3 running on virtual interfaces, which
> provide server names and paths consistant with legacy NT servers, as we are
> in the middle of migrating/restructuring the network. The most connections
> any one virtual server gets is about 400.

	Cool!

--dave
Americas Customer Engineering, | some people and astonish the rest.
SunPS Integration Services.    |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com