W2K and samba PDC logon and remote home

Martin.Sheppard at csiro.au Martin.Sheppard at csiro.au
Mon Oct 8 17:38:03 GMT 2001

> From: Samuli A Valo [mailto:savalo at cs.Helsinki.FI]
>
> We have the same problem. Our enviroment consist of W2k domain in native
> mode (w2k sp2 server) and samba 2.2 fileserver, which shares users home
> directorys. Profiles are located in each users home directory. Everything
> works fine as long as client machine is not w2k sp2.

We have a W2K native mode domain and a samba 2.0.9 fileserver which shares
users's home directories. Profiles are located in each user's home
directory. We have not had any problems with the machines that have so far
been upgraded to SP2 (apart from something strange happening with windows
appending .pds to the profile dir occasionally, but that happens with SP1 as
well, any ideas?). What might be making the difference is that we have the
following entries in homes share:

    create mode = 0700
    force create mode = 0700
    directory mode = 0700
    force directory mode = 0700

> I was able to apply workaround and user can login now, but w2k will not
> remove profile (mandated by policy -- ntpolicy + w2k local group polcy),
> and every new login will create new copy of profile.....

We have profile removal mandated by a W2K group policy in Active Directory.
We have not seen any problems with profile removal.

Cheers,

Martin.