That troublemaker again (replace domain logons =, domain master=)

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Mon Nov 12 02:53:05 GMT 2001

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 11:54:22PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >                    PDC        BDC       Standalone (also member)     DMB
> > domain master =     Y          N                 N                    Y
> > domain logons =     Y          Y                 N                    N
>
> But "BDC" implies that we have a read only SAM/smbpasswd.  Which I assume
> will be closely tied to the domain mode security code.  Follow where I'm
> going?
>
> And I still think DMB should not be in this list.  Frankly, I prefer the
> "domain master" and "domain logons" combinations.  I still don't see what
> advantage this has.  From what I understand, it is not required for you to
> be able to implement the "auth order" parameter.  Or am I mistaken.

It is much more easier to understand the andrew's table than the domain master/logons combination from an administrator point of view.
Sure black belts in smb.conf would find it easy, but having parameters the clearly states what samba will be are more understandable.
and yes DMB is not so usefull but is here to provide you a way to use any combination of the two parameters (to avoid loss in configurability).

We discussed this with volker at CIFS too and I'm for this change, much more clear IMHO.

Simo Sorce       idra at samba.org