That troublemaker again (replace domain logons =, domain master=)

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Nov 12 05:17:03 GMT 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Simo Sorce wrote:

> It is much more easier to understand the andrew's table than the
> domain master/logons combination from an administrator point of view.
> Sure black belts in smb.conf would find it easy, but having parameters
> the clearly states what samba will be are more understandable. and yes
> DMB is not so usefull but is here to provide you a way to use any
> combination of the two parameters (to avoid loss in configurability).
>
> We discussed this with volker at CIFS too and I'm for this change,
> much more clear IMHO.

I disagree.  It is simply an alternative representation.  Why not
simply have documentation which presents this chart?  Removing
the "security" parameter will break all existing
documentation, configuration files, and third party tools.
Not to mention making sysadmins relearn how to configure Samba.

For what?  A chart that may or may not be clearer to admins?
The payoff is debateable and not big enough.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard