That troublemaker again (replace domain logons =, domain master=)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sun Nov 11 22:07:02 GMT 2001

Tim Potter wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 04:37:49PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
> > It should decrese the overhead, becouse the option is clear.  No more
> > 'domain logons = pdc, but not if domain master = no, then its a bdc'
> > kind of stuff.
> >
> > Table:
> >                    PDC        BDC       Standalone (also member)     DMB
> > domain master =     Y          N                 N                    Y
> > domain logons =     Y          Y                 N                    N
>
> There's at least one other entry that needs to go in this table:
>
>   encrypt passwords = Y          Y                Y/N                  Y/N

And enforcing this would reduce the number of bug reports, because the
error messages you get are not exactly helpful...

> > > I'll need to understand it more and think some.
>
> An easy way of doing this is to add the 'server role' parameter and keep
> all the other random browsing related ones.  By setting 'server role'
> you are implicitly setting the values of other ones as per the above
> table.
>
> You may have to worry about the order of the parameters in the smb.conf
> file.  Or maybe not.

I'm fine with this, as long as we kill the dependence on security=
(which this will do).  It just seemed that others wanted to remove some
parameters as well, so I put my head above the trenches and waited for
the incoming lead.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net