That troublemaker again (replace domain logons =, domain master=)

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Sun Nov 11 21:58:12 GMT 2001

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 04:37:49PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

[stuff deleted]

> It should decrese the overhead, becouse the option is clear.  No more
> 'domain logons = pdc, but not if domain master = no, then its a bdc'
> kind of stuff.
>
> Table:
>                    PDC        BDC       Standalone (also member)     DMB
> domain master =     Y          N                 N                    Y
> domain logons =     Y          Y                 N                    N

There's at least one other entry that needs to go in this table:

  encrypt passwords = Y          Y                Y/N                  Y/N

> > > If sombody can show a sane way to implement backward-compatablity on
> > > this, I'll be happy to see it.  It just seemed like it would a little
> > > too messy.  We will see.
> >
> > I'll need to understand it more and think some.

An easy way of doing this is to add the 'server role' parameter and keep
all the other random browsing related ones.  By setting 'server role'
you are implicitly setting the values of other ones as per the above
table.

You may have to worry about the order of the parameters in the smb.conf
file.  Or maybe not.

Tim.