an idea - psexec for UNIX systems

Scott Gifford sgifford at suspectclass.com
Fri Nov 9 17:30:02 GMT 2001

Michael H Buselli <busellim at pprd.abbott.com> writes:

> =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= said:
>
> > Conceptually the idea is no different from
> > rsh/rexec/ssh.  In fact I bleive the various resource
> [deleted]
>
> This explaination doesn't tell me any more about how this tool is
> different from rsh/rexec/ssh.  Maybe it was buried in there and I didn't
> understand it?  Could you or someone else that understands this
> elaborate?  Thank you.

I think he's talking about as psexec *client* for UNIX, to connect to
a standard Windows server.  And the difference (apparently; I'm not
familiar with psexec except from his post) is that the server for
psexec is built into Windows NT, so you wouldn't have to install
anything else on the server to use it --- similar to how you might
prefer to use smbclient to connect to file shares on a Windows server
instead of installing an NFS server and connecting to it that way,
simply because it's easier and already built in.

Paul, feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood your posts.

----ScottG.