Is there interst in ssl these days?

Jay Ts jay at toltec.metran.cx
Fri Nov 9 01:06:11 GMT 2001

Gerald Carter wrote:

> Someone want to make a proposal for removeing --with-ssl
> in 3.0 and post it to the main list and see what the reaction is?

How about simply asking if anyone is using it?

This thread was started off (offlist, actually) by me asking David
Collier-Brown if he thought it was important to cover SSL in Using
Samba.  I'm quite surprised it quickly turned into a discussion about
whether the feature should be dropped! :-)

If it were up to me, I wouldn't remove support for much of
anything without at least letting a few major versions go
by containing a prominent warning that the feature may disappear,
and thus allowing anyone who is depending on it to say something.

Jay Ts
jayts at iname.com