Connections, preexec and postexec

Joe Meslovich joe at bridgewater.edu
Thu Nov 1 07:44:05 GMT 2001

	My institution uses samba 2.2.2 on a solaris 8 box. With this
current version of samba we seen where connections open and close like
once a minute. If a person does something a connection opens, and when
they stop the connection sits for a minute or so and closes. Well the
problem is in the cycle of open and closes the preexec and postexec run
every time. This is bogging down the system and causing the system to max
out when several processes close or open their connections to netlogon. Is
this opening and closing of connections a new feature in 2.2.2? If so is
there a way to set up samba so that the preexec only runs on login and the
postexec on logout. IF this is indeed a feature something has to be done
to take the pre's and post's into account. We need to use those feature,
but we are being thrashed by the side effect of the uneccesary runs.

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   browseable = no
   root preexec = "/usr/local/samba/bin/build_login.pl -u%u -M%M -d%d -a%a
-I%I"
   root postexec = "/usr/local/samba/bin/cleanup_login.pl -u%u -M%M -d%d
-a%a -I
%I"

Joe Meslovich						joe at bridgewater.edu
Associate Network/Systems Engineer	                College Box 499
Tel: (540) 828 - 5343