Invalid packet length

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Thu May 24 15:44:40 GMT 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 11:39:49AM +0200, Juergen Hasch wrote:

> I just installed the current 2.2 CVS version of Samba on a Linux box.
> Copying data from a Win2K-client to Samba is considerably slower
> compared
> to the CVS version from May 20.
> A 1G file takes about 9 minutes to copy, where it took less than 6
> minutes
> before. Copying from the Samba server to the client works OK.
>
> What I get in smbd.log is:
> [2001/05/24 11:19:22, 0] lib/util_sock.c:receive_smb(659)
>   Invalid packet length! (65600 bytes).

Ah - Andrew was right, it looks like they're using the
full 17 bits of the NetBIOS packet length, not 16 bits
as I assumed....

I think we can fix this by upping the buffer size to
128k from 64k, as this packet is 64k + 60 bytes. My
guess is they're trying to do a full 64k write here.
(write_len is probably 0xFFFF).

A packet trace or debug level 10 would help fix this
very quickly...

Thanks,

		Jeremy.