HPUX 11-SAMBA-NIS Password with # or @

Michael Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Wed May 23 11:58:04 GMT 2001

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 01:40:22PM +0100, Emmanuel.Lethrosne wrote:
> Hi,
>    We have a SAMBA Server 2.0.7 on HP-UX 11 with NIS
> and have problem with password whith special
> character like # or @.
> We use "Password Synchronization" Samba-Unix.
> When we connect on Windows, it's good but not
> with Unix.
>
> Thanks reply me directly.
>
> Regards

This is because HP-UX' terminal modes default to having @ be kill (same as
^U, erase line) and # is erase.  See how successful you are at this using a
shell other than bash:

   hpuxbox% stty sane
   hpuxbox% mailx -s "HP-UX terminal settings suck" support at hp.com

My guess is that as soon as you type the @ symbol, your line will be
erased.

If a user really insists on using # or @ in his/her password, whenever they
log into an HP-UX box, they will need to escape the password with a
backslash.  That is, if their password is really "b at man#", they will need
to type "b\@man\#" at the HP-UX password prompt for rlogin, telnet, console
logins, and CDE logins.

<rant> I am sure that this behavior is handy if you are using a dumb
terminal that was manufactured in 1978.  I have yet to see someone that
drops tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a workstation or server
that cannot afford a $250 terminal.  HP, get with it!</rant>

Mike