Problem with Turkish character share names -- how to modify?

Deniz Akkus Kanca deniz at arayan.com
Tue May 22 11:34:05 GMT 2001

Hello,

This problem occurs in samba 2.2.0 as well as my own Turkish patched version
of samba 2.0.7.

I have sent in the Turkish support for samba and it has gotten included.

The Turkish support works as in -- No problems with filenames, containing
any Turkish character (dotted i, dotless i included, upper/lowercase, all
combos). We have been using it at work with codepage 857 clients.

The problem is with sharenames.

This is probably what happens:

Windows (codepage 857) reports a share name incorrectly:
   a.     share name being hulusi, Windows asks for it as HULUSI
(capitalized according to Ascii capitalization)
   b.  Windows asking for it as HULUSI, samba, under Turkish charmap looks
for hulus\215 or HULUSI and doesn't find it. (the share being hulusi or,
capitalized, HULUS\230)

I don't know almost anything about SMB protocol, so I am not sure whether or
not Windows is supposed to preserve case. If it did, the problem would be
resolved (Windows asking for hulusi would solve the problem)

Or, if windows can't be bothered to report it correctly, and samba is
working under codepage 857:
Samba looks for the share name in upper/lower case. (meaning when windows
asks for HULUSI, it also tries looking for hulus\215. Under codepage 857, it
could also try the combinations HULUS\230, hulusi)

If it is Samba that does not preserve case in windows requests it receives,
that could be corrected.

I am willing to work on this issue, but knowing almost nothing about the
internals of Samba code, I'd like someone to point me in the right
direction. I am OK with reading other people's C code -- I just don't think
I can internalize all of Samba code in a hurry to solve this issue.

Best regards,
Deniz