Problem with Turkish character share names -- how to modify?

Ryo Kawahara rkawa at lbe.co.jp
Tue May 22 10:50:23 GMT 2001

Hello.

From: "Deniz Akkus Kanca" <deniz at arayan.com>
Subject: Problem with Turkish character share names -- how to modify?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 04:01:17 +0300

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with Turkish character share names. Here is a description
> of the problem:
>
> Capital letters        Corresponding minuscule letters
> Capital I (dotless i) => small dotless i (\215)
> Dotted Capital i (\230) => i
>
> Problem occurs when using the Turkish codepages.
> A share is created (hulusi) that contains a small dotted i.
> Trying to reach this share gives an error, stating that the share cannot be
> reached.
>
> According to the logs, this is what happens:
>
> 1. The share being requested gets sent as "HULUSI"
> 2. Samba tries to find share "hulus\215" and states that it can't be found.
>
> Problem seems to be in the naming of the share being requested -- the
> request should have come for either "hulusi" or for "HULUS\230" .
>
> I am at a loss as to where to go looking for the source of the problem. Is
> it the windows world that sends the request incorrectly (as HULUSI)? Or is
> it samba that does an incomplete transformation on "hulusi" into "HULUSI"
> when the codepages are Turkish?
>
> Other Turkish characters without this confusing issue such as
>     Capital U umlaut => minuscule u umlaut
> etc. work fine in shares.

I'm not familiar with Turkish language, but I suppose
codepage 857 is the Turkish codepage and not supported in samba-2.0.7.

How did you set "client code page=" in your smb.conf file?
See under source/codepages/ in Samba source archive directory.
There are upper-lower character maps for various codepages.

And if you wrote the smb.conf file with other encoding than
client codpage, then "character set" parameter should be set
to correct value, but I'm not sure there is Turkish support.
(I thought character conversion which specified with
 "character set" parameter is hardcoded in source/lib/charcnv.c)

// Ryo KAWAHARA
// website: http://www3.lbe.co.jp/~rkawa/