codepages ... Esp in the packaging/RedHat spec file

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu May 17 16:12:25 GMT 2001

Hi Richard,

Quoting Richard Sharpe <sharpe at ns.aus.com>:

> It seems to me that from an FHS POV, the codepages directory is shareable
> data that should be in /usr/share/samba or in /opt/samba/codepages ...

> At present it is placed in /etc/codepages ...

> Does anyone have any objections if I move it to /usr/share/samba?

> Can anyone think of any way that the codepages should be private data?

This is a very timely message -- there is currently a discussion among Debian
developers about the fact that /etc/samba/codepages is responsible for half the
size of /etc on many systems. :)  Since Debian tries to be minimalist in the
requirements for the root partition, it seems the consensus is that a bug will
be filed against the Debian package for not being FHS-compliant.

I think anyone using the --with-fhs option is going to prefer that the
codepages be kept in /usr/share.  When not using --with-fhs, they can go
wherever consensus among the Samba team would have them. :)

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer